Location - PreFix home base, South Congress, Austin, TX
PreFix Inc. is transforming home maintenance and eliminating the hassle of home ownership. We have created a completely new category based on relationships that are woven into the fabric of the communities we serve. Our customer retention and satisfaction are unrivaled by any company in this sector. While currently focused on home maintenance, we are expanding into adjacent services and new geographic markets.
The company is a graduate of the Capital Factory and Techstars Accelerator programs. Current investors include Chicago Ventures, Brand Foundry Ventures, Moonshots Capital, Firebrand Ventures and the UBER Syndicate.
In addition to empowering homeowners to spend time on the things that matter, a core part of our mission is to empower employees to build careers that matter. We are committed to creating clear and compelling career paths for employees at all levels of our organization. Our culture is fast-paced but highly collaborative. We pursue excellence with humility and empathy.
About the Role
This role joins a lean engineering team (currently, Lead Developer, 1x frontend) that works closely with Head of Product.
The role's focus is new feature development, with support and guidance from PreFix's Lead Developer, and collaborating with frontend dev, with feature planning and requirements documented in Jira and Confluence by Head of Product.
Architecture currently includes a Python Django application that houses customer data, bookings, tasks, invoices, and all related business logic, which then feeds the interfaces used by the customer support team, the PreFix 'Home Manager' team in the field, and the customer experience.
Technical roadmap for the business is extensive and ambitious, and there is a long list of new features to be built into the core application to benefit customer experience, and internal operations efficiencies.
What you will do:
- Quickly familiarise yourself with PreFix's tech stack and core application, conducting technical documentation (in Confluence and Jira) where beneficial to efficient cross-team collaboration, and future expansion of the development team.
- Join daily dev standup meetings to discuss daily work priorities, cross-team blockers, and general team planning.
- Help with technical planning on new feature requests from the business, including documenting technical scope, and providing developer budgets, working closely with Head of Product.
- Execute continuous development sprints, delivering new application features, working in Python / Django.
- Deliver reliable and resilient code, including writing automated tests.
- Bug fixes where required, in support of the live application.
What you will need:
- 4 or more years experience developing software applications in Python (experience working with the Django framework is a significant plus).
- Experience with SQL and relational databases (PostgreSQL experience a plus)
- Strong time management and organizational skills; able to commit to, and deliver on, work schedules as part of a broader team.
- A user-centric mindset, with the appetite to understand the business problems we're trying to solve, and with empathy for the end users of the features you're building.
- A good balance of pride in delivering high quality code, with the ability to be pragmatic about the 'right way' to approach a problem in a fast moving, lean startup.
Tech & Business Software Stack
- Python (Django)
- Heroku (AWS)
- React.js (Gatsby)
Compensation & Benefits:
- Negotiable combination of cash and stock options.
- Health insurance.
- 20 days of paid time off (plus company observed holidays)